MHL™: Expand Your Mobile World
Not a member yet?Join
About this contest
*CONTEST UPLOAD DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 7/30. VOTING DEADLINE 8/6*MHL technology allows you to experience your smartphone on the big screen while simultaneously charging your phone. With MHL technology you can; connect your mobile phone to a larger screen to display your personal photos, show your home videos, and play your favorite mobile games. There are millions of MHL-ready devices on the market today including smartphones, tablets, DTVs, monitors, home theater products and accessories.
The MHL Consortium is looking for videos that show how MHL technology can change how you live and interact with your phone, especially when it comes to gaming and productivity. Imagine your favorite games, now suddenly transported to the big screen with big sound on your friend’s TV, or showing video of your kids championship game at their grandparents house. Imagine being able to edit photos and videos from your phone directly on a big screen, or make a presentation in the company conference room on the big screen without having to lug in your laptop.
What other doors are open to you with this cool technology? You can bring your own movie collection with you on the road, tucked away in your little phone, and watch them on the hotel TV, or you can watch the latest and greatest from a streaming video service. Make every room as personal as your own living room. And what about your car? You can integrate your phone into your navigation system and use the larger screen to control all your apps including live traffic updates.
Your video could be literal, but don't be afraid to make it conceptual. How great would it be to take everything giant in your life, put it in your pocket, and then take it out again someplace else back at its full size? Everything you love in life expands before your eyes, and all because of a little connection.
The production quality need not have a slick and professional feel. Make a video with the potential to “go viral" and that only happens when something is meaningful/touching, inspirational, informative and/or funny.
- Video must be under 2 minutes
- The video can be “fun” but obviously show the value of MHL technology to the consumer
- Product logos must be omitted except where it says MHL
- A phone does not need to be used in the video but where used it must be an Android phone and prefer highlighting the charging ability.
- Must use tagline “Expand your Mobile World” Do not use any other tagline.
- Create “a hook” for consumers to remember the name “MHL”
- If presenting the gaming use case it would be ideal to take advantage of action-based games to highlight the fact that this technology has no lag.
- All demonstrations of applications on a display need to be in landscape mode.
- Videos may be in any language – though you will need to submit an English language text transcript with your video. If your video is not in English please provide a English-language transcript translation as well as subtitling the actual piece. English- language text transcript of all spoken content in your video must be sent to Zooppa Support with your username and title of your video.
- Preference will be given to those videos that can scale across languages and cultures
- All music, images, video footage and other content must be either originally produced by the filmmaker submitting the video, or proper permissions must be authorized by the copyright owner. Proper permissions must include the right for the filmmaker to use the content commercially. Likewise, it is the responsibility of the filmmaker to ensure that all permissions are in place for use of actors' likenesses.
- 'What the heck is MHL technology anyways?' Zooppa blog
- MHL YouTube Video
- PCWorld Article
- MHL Enabled Devices List is in the materials pack download
- 50% compelling story telling
- 30% capturing the brand’s values
- 20% production quality
Special terms for this contest
All material submitted becomes the sole property of MHL Consortium and will not be returned. I hereby assign to MHL Consortium any rights I may have or acquire in such material and recognize that all Proprietary Information shall be the sole property of the MHL Consortium and its assigns and that the MHL Consortium and its assigns shall be the sole owner of all intellectual property rights throughout the world in connection therewith. To the maximum extent allowed by law, I hereby irrevocably and unconditionally waive all so-called ‘moral rights’ that vest in me (whether before, on or after the date hereof) “Moral Rights” means any right to claim authorship of a work, any right to object to any distortion or other modification of a work, and any similar right, existing under the law of any country in the world, or under any treaty. Contestant hereby irrevocably transfers and assigns to MHL Consortium any and all Moral Rights that Contestant may have in any and all Designs and Materials.
In addition to the forgoing, you understand and agree that, in its sole discretion, MHL Consortium may (a) reproduce/distribute all entries submitted in any and all media throughout the world in perpetuity, (b) alter, amend, edit or change entries prior to distribution and (c) use, distribute, reproduce, alter, amend and copyright entries for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. Entrants do not retain any ownership of or copyright in any Contest submissions. Silicon Image and Zooppa are not under any obligation to use submitted content. You may not resubmit content that was not chosen for an award for another use, brand, or contest.
Employees and contractors of Silicon Image, Inc. are excluded from this contest as well as their immediate family members.