Forum Thread for Hormel Compleats Competition

New post

Jan 12, 2011 03:02PM PST

JoshZooppaUSA
JoshZooppaUSA Quote

Hey All you Zoopers!

Here’s another one for you. Hormel Compleats.

Have you guys tried these? We had them in the office the other day. I had the roast beef with mashed potatoes. It was crazy good!

The flavors were interesting and nuanced, and the potatoes were firm, like they’d just been blended.

The packages have this thick, vacu-seal top that you can peel off. That’s what makes it possible to keep these things without a refrigerator. Really interesting.

Anyway!

Here is where you can talk about the Hormel Compleats contest, or ask questions about it.

Jan 31, 2011 04:42PM PST

moniquew
moniquew Quote

The “Ownership” section of the terms and conditions on this contest are completely exploitative. Submission of a video entails giving up all copyrights to Hormel, and they may use the content at any time under any circumstances whatsoever without any compensation to the creator?
Disgusting.

Feb 06, 2011 02:55AM PST

Quote:
The “Ownership” section of the terms and conditions on this contest are completely exploitative. Submission of a video entails giving up all copyrights to Hormel, and they may use the content at any time under any circumstances whatsoever without any compensation to the creator?
Disgusting.

Dear Hormel,

Really?! You’re just going to take ideas from “Submissions” and reserve the right to NOT award any compensation to the creator(s) after you use them?! Why have a contest at all?

AAA

Feb 10, 2011 10:58AM PST

JoshZooppaUSA
JoshZooppaUSA Quote

Hi Folks -

Yes, these are the terms we must present sometimes in order to have these contests.

I know that the terms are onerous – but we still feel the contests provide value to filmmakers. Not all clients require these types of terms, but some do. And in order to get the clients to run these competitions, sometimes we have to agree to their terms.

If we don’t, then there is no competition. And we figure it’s better to have the competition, because many people still want to participate, even with these terms. We figure it’s better to have the competitions than not.

Nobody is forced to participate. Like Uncle Chu says – we’re like a salad bar; take what you want and leave the rest.

Josh

Feb 27, 2011 11:55AM PST

WaltHollis
WaltHollis Quote

It states that the maximum file size is “50 MB.” My camera is a Canon HD, so a 30 second commercial is usually around a 250 mb file size. If I change the video to a smaller format, it will become distorted. I wanted to double-check and make sure this is accurate. I assume most everyone’s HD files are larger, like this.

Thanks!!

Feb 27, 2011 04:55PM PST

game7
game7 Quote
Quote:
It states that the maximum file size is “50 MB.” My camera is a Canon HD, so a 30 second commercial is usually around a 250 mb file size. If I change the video to a smaller format, it will become distorted. I wanted to double-check and make sure this is accurate. I assume most everyone’s HD files are larger, like this.

Thanks!!

Walt. You are correct about the file size straight from the camera is huge but when you export from your editing software you should easily get a file below 50mb. All of my entries have been exported using Quicktime – H.264/MP4 – and limiting the data rate to 5000kbits at 1280×720 HD. You still have to say preserve aspect ratio and deinterlace really helps too. I hope this helps and good luck in the competitions.

Feb 27, 2011 08:30PM PST

WaltHollis
WaltHollis Quote

I’ll check out the data rate, etc… further. I have been using the H264 export for video auditions, etc…. that have to be smaller. I have not had great success with maintaining identical quality however. I will check some of the other settings and see what I can do.

Thank you for your help!!

Mar 07, 2011 11:21AM PST

JoshZooppaUSA
JoshZooppaUSA Quote

Hi Guys-

The filesize limit for videos is 50MB, but even files close to that can be troublesome for uploads.

- It can take a while to encode videos, and your chances of getting an error rise with larger file sizes

Most Zooppa videos are between 10-20MB. People seem to have an easier time with videos that size.

It’s not perfect. But it mostly works!

Josh

Mar 11, 2011 01:36PM PST

cutaway5
cutaway5 Quote

Completes “totally rock,” as my teenager says.
I, too, am a little taken aback by the “Rules” of “Ownership.”

In the real world, when someone takes your intellectual property, you are either compensated, as in awarded prize money or being paid on a contract, or you keep the rights to your work! INCREDIBLE that Hormel and its affiliates think it is okay to use and distribute ALL submissions, FOREVER, even if those videos do not win!
I think this is unconscionable and Hormel really needs to take a second look at this. It is wrong just to take the creative ideas of others in exchange for the “privilege” of entering a contest. If my ideas are not good enough to win, then I should own my ideas, not allow them to be used as your own, later.

Please rethink this. On principle, I refuse to share your link or apply to your contest.

Mar 12, 2011 10:45AM PST

VioletaCotero
VioletaCotero Quote

Hello:

I can´t vote.

I am a zooppa member…

Mar 14, 2011 08:18AM PDT

JoshZooppaUSA
JoshZooppaUSA Quote

Hi All -

Power to the People!

The right to vote for Hormel submissions has been reinstated.

The proper box had not been checked to enable voting. This has been amended. Please vote on!

JB

Mar 14, 2011 01:34PM PDT

cbarrette3
cbarrette3 Quote

I was wondering what was up with the voting! Glad to see everything is fixed. Good to luck to everyone…!

Mar 14, 2011 09:53PM PDT

HWorks
HWorks Quote

I have submitted my entry the 10th of March and it’s still being ‘encoded’. I wrote three emails to staff members, and still got no answer. I was asking if there was any possible explaination about this that I’m not aware of. My work took me several hours and I thought I could get at least an answer.

Mar 15, 2011 11:44AM PDT

MannyZooppaUSA
MannyZooppaUSA Quote
Quote:
I have submitted my entry the 10th of March and it’s still being ‘encoded’. I wrote three emails to staff members, and still got no answer. I was asking if there was any possible explaination about this that I’m not aware of. My work took me several hours and I thought I could get at least an answer.

We’re looking into it, H. Don’t worry, we’re on it!

Manny

Mar 16, 2011 10:16AM PDT

HWorks
HWorks Quote

Thanks for your prompt feedback, it was very appreciated.

Mar 16, 2011 01:14PM PDT

can we have more than one entry?

Mar 16, 2011 02:16PM PDT

MannyZooppaUSA
MannyZooppaUSA Quote
Quote:
can we have more than one entry?

Yup! Totally.

Mar 21, 2011 04:12PM PDT

MannyZooppaUSA
MannyZooppaUSA Quote

We’re just 4 days out until the close of the Hormel contest. We have 30 videos so far. We usually get the most amount of videos in the last 4 days so it’s gonna be interesting to watch the number go up!

Anyone have any favorites so far?

Manny

Mar 23, 2011 05:26AM PDT

drannor
drannor Quote

Hi, I just want to say my opinion about a thing that is happening on this contest. I saw that there are some videos promoting themselves, saying that they are going to give the prize money to people on japan. I guess its not wrong to try to help who need, but use zooppa, a contest that the brand payed money, to promote things like that is unfair with all the competitors. If people want to help japan using zooppa, or you can really give the money you earn to them (but not promoting your work using emotional resources) or zooppa can promote a contest, to make advertisings that tries to incentivate people helping japan, that would be the better and a fair way to do that.

Well, thats just my personal opinion for that.

Mar 23, 2011 06:35AM PDT

Gomes
Gomes Quote
Quote:
Hi, I just want to say my opinion about a thing that is happening on this contest. I saw that there are some videos promoting themselves, saying that they are going to give the prize money to people on japan. I guess its not wrong to try to help who need, but use zooppa, a contest that the brand payed money, to promote things like that is unfair with all the competitors. If people want to help japan using zooppa, or you can really give the money you earn to them (but not promoting your work using emotional resources) or zooppa can promote a contest, to make advertisings that tries to incentivate people helping japan, that would be the better and a fair way to do that.

Well, thats just my personal opinion for that.

I had a video for this competition and I will not post that. What’s worse is the person who organizes the staff. Her comment that the 10 comments above. I am not against Japan but help you to do a specific competition. She posted a request on several sites.
Hormel will not take action?
The her video is in 2nd position

Mar 23, 2011 07:05AM PDT

Milarch
Milarch Quote

Wow, this is happening?

Mar 23, 2011 07:06AM PDT

Milarch
Milarch Quote
Quote:
Hello:

I can´t vote.

I am a zooppa member…

Sorry, You can not vote but can post video and compete? Sorry but the way the rules have changed

Mar 23, 2011 07:12AM PDT

verywell
verywell Quote

Sincerely, Zooppa is a farce! Completely disorganized, people do what they want here, is a lawless place!
Probably the fakes will appear the last day, as the competition Silk, and will win easily for votes. That disgusts me.

Mar 23, 2011 09:53AM PDT

MannyZooppaUSA
MannyZooppaUSA Quote
Quote:
Sincerely, Zooppa is a farce! Completely disorganized, people do what they want here, is a lawless place!
Probably the fakes will appear the last day, as the competition Silk, and will win easily for votes. That disgusts me.

Hi there,

We’re doing everything we can to detect and remove fake votes. We already have messaging on our briefs to that effect. There are a number of ways we are discovering fraudulent voting and we want to assure you that we are executing these methods to the fullest extent.

We are also addressing the issue about self promotion through comments. Ideally, we would use the comment section only for relevant notes of the video above the section. We are addressing that ASAP.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
Manny

Mar 23, 2011 10:17AM PDT

Gomes
Gomes Quote

Simple formula for win,

publish the video
http://zooppa.com/ads/life-better-served/videos/enjoy-hormel-enjoy-your-life?fbid=SIm5kf5ZLVh

post on youtube, with a promise of help (be)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h1IZT4cEvOkJ:tongal.com/profile/violeta.coterocanseco+violeta+cotero&cd=1&hl=pt-BR&ct=clnk&gl=br&source=www.google.com.br

WORKING IN ZOOPPA

discloses

http://www.youtube.com/tutorialaftereffects
promise to help Japan

= Win

( Im not against helping but she is an employee of Zooppa could give this idea for a campaign with this purpose.)